PAST CONTINUOUS TENSE (STRUCTURE + USE )
📚✨⏰
PAST CONTINUOUS TENSE
🌟 Learn • Understand • Practise • Master 🌟
🎯 What is Past Continuous Tense?
ଯେତେବେଳେ କୌଣସି କାମ ଅତୀତର ଏକ ନିର୍ଦ୍ଦିଷ୍ଟ
ସମୟରେ ଚାଲୁଥିଲା, ସେତେବେଳେ
Past Continuous Tense ବ୍ୟବହାର କରାଯାଏ।
👉 Past = ଅତୀତ
👉 Continuous = ଚାଲୁଥିବା କାମ
👉 Past = ଅତୀତ
👉 Continuous = ଚାଲୁଥିବା କାମ
📌 Example:
ସେ ବଜାରକୁ ଯାଉଥିଲା।
➡️ He was going to the market.
ସେ ବଜାରକୁ ଯାଉଥିଲା।
➡️ He was going to the market.
🏗️ Basic Structure
Subject + WAS/WERE + V-ing + Object
| Subject | Helping Verb |
|---|---|
| I | was |
| He | was |
| She | was |
| It | was |
| Singular Noun | was |
| We | were |
| You | were |
| They | were |
| Plural Noun | were |
💡 Remember!
WAS I, He, She, It + Singular
WERE We, You, They + Plural
WAS I, He, She, It + Singular
WERE We, You, They + Plural
🌈 10 Easy Examples
1
ସେ ବଜାରକୁ ଯାଉଥିଲା।
He was going to the market.
He was going to the market.
2
ରମେଶ ଚିଠି ଲେଖୁଥିଲା।
Ramesh was writing a letter.
Ramesh was writing a letter.
3
ସେ ଗୀତ ଗାଉଥିଲା।
She was singing a song.
She was singing a song.
4
ସେ ଶୋଇଥିଲା।
She was sleeping.
She was sleeping.
5
ସେମାନେ ଫୁଟବଲ୍ ଖେଳୁଥିଲେ।
They were playing football.
They were playing football.
6
ରହିମ୍ ପଢୁଥିଲା।
Rahim was studying.
Rahim was studying.
7
ବର୍ଷା ହେଉଥିଲା।
It was raining.
It was raining.
8
ମୁଁ ଖେଳୁଥିଲି।
I was playing.
I was playing.
9
ତୁମେ କପଡ଼ା ଧୋଉଥିଲା।
You were washing clothes.
You were washing clothes.
10
ଆମେ କାର୍ଯ୍ୟାଳୟକୁ ଯାଉଥିଲୁ।
We were going to the office.
We were going to the office.
🚫 Negative Sentences
Subject + WAS/WERE + NOT + V-ing + Object
✅ He was playing.
❌ He was not playing.
❌ He was not playing.
✅ They were smoking.
❌ They were not smoking.
❌ They were not smoking.
✅ I was reading.
❌ I was not reading.
❌ I was not reading.
✅ Sita was cooking.
❌ Sita was not cooking.
❌ Sita was not cooking.
✅ We were dancing.
❌ We were not dancing.
❌ We were not dancing.
💡 Short Forms
was not = wasn't
were not = weren't
was not = wasn't
were not = weren't
❓ Interrogative Sentences
When we ask a question,
Was/Were comes before the Subject.
WAS/WERE + Subject + V-ing + Object?
➡️ He was playing.
❓ Was he playing?
❓ Was he playing?
➡️ They were smoking.
❓ Were they smoking?
❓ Were they smoking?
➡️ I was reading.
❓ Was I reading?
❓ Was I reading?
➡️ Sita was cooking.
❓ Was Sita cooking?
❓ Was Sita cooking?
➡️ We were dancing.
❓ Were we dancing?
❓ Were we dancing?
🚨 Interrogative-Negative Sentences
Was/Were + Subject + not + V-ing + Object?
OR
Wasn't/Weren't + Subject + V-ing + Object?
1️⃣ Was he not going to the market?
OR
Wasn't he going to the market?
OR
Wasn't he going to the market?
2️⃣ Were they not playing cards?
OR
Weren't they playing cards?
OR
Weren't they playing cards?
3️⃣ Was she not reading a book?
OR
Wasn't she reading a book?
OR
Wasn't she reading a book?
🟢 Use – 1
An action was continuing at a particular time in the past.
ଅତୀତରେ କୌଣସି କାମ ଏକ ସମୟରେ
ଚାଲୁଥିଲା ବୋଲି ବୁଝାଇବା ପାଇଁ
Past Continuous ବ୍ୟବହାର କରାଯାଏ।
🏏 He was playing cricket.
📺 They were watching TV.
🏊 She was swimming in the river.
🔧 Rahim was repairing the car.
🔵 Use – 2
A repeated or annoying habit in the past
ଅତୀତରେ କୌଣସି କାମ ବାରମ୍ବାର ବା ସବୁବେଳେ ଘଟୁଥିଲା ବୋଲି ବୁଝାଇବା ପାଇଁ Past Continuous ବ୍ୟବହାର ହୋଇପାରେ।
⭐ Common Adverbs:
always • constantly • continually
always • constantly • continually
😠 He was always abusing others.
😢 She was constantly crying in those days.
😨 They were continually threatening us.
😒 She was always grumbling.
🟠 Use – 3
One action was in progress when another action happened.
ଯେତେବେଳେ ଗୋଟିଏ କାମ ଚାଲୁଥିଲା, ସେହି ସମୟରେ ଆଉ ଗୋଟିଏ କାମ ଘଟିଲା, Past Continuous ସହିତ Simple Past ବ୍ୟବହାର ହୁଏ।
🔑 Useful Words:
when • while • as
when • while • as
1️⃣ When he arrived, his wife
was washing her clothes.
2️⃣ The boy was crossing the road
when a car knocked him down.
3️⃣ Where were you living
when the war broke out?
4️⃣ The sun was just setting
as they reached the hill.
🧠 EASY TRICK
⏳ Long / Continuing Action → Past Continuous
⚡ Short / Completed Event → Simple Past
⏳ Long / Continuing Action → Past Continuous
⚡ Short / Completed Event → Simple Past
📖 I was reading a book when my friend
called me.
🟣 Use – 4
Two actions were happening at the same time.
ଅତୀତରେ ଦୁଇଟି କାମ ଏକା ସମୟରେ ଚାଲୁଥିଲେ, ଦୁଇଟି ବାକ୍ୟରେ Past Continuous ବ୍ୟବହାର କରାଯାଏ।
🔑 Common Word:
WHILE = ଯେତେବେଳେ / ସେହି ସମୟରେ
WHILE = ଯେତେବେଳେ / ସେହି ସମୟରେ
👩🍳 While she was cooking,
I was washing the clothes.
🎤 While I was singing,
Ramesh was reading.
⚽ While they were playing,
I was watching TV.
📖 While he was reading,
Sita was playing.
🚦 WAS or WERE?
🔴 WAS
I + wasHe + was
She + was
It + was
Singular Noun + was
Ramesh was studying.
The girl was dancing.
🟢 WERE
We + wereYou + were
They + were
Plural Noun + were
We were studying.
The boys were playing.
🌟 Golden Formula
POSITIVE
S + WAS/WERE + V-ing + O
NEGATIVE
S + WAS/WERE + NOT + V-ing + O
QUESTION
WAS/WERE + S + V-ing + O?
NEGATIVE QUESTION
WAS/WERE + S + NOT + V-ing + O?
🎯 Quick Revision
| Sentence Type | Formula | Example |
|---|---|---|
| ✅ Positive | S + was/were + V-ing | He was playing. |
| ❌ Negative | S + was/were + not + V-ing | He was not playing. |
| ❓ Interrogative | Was/Were + S + V-ing? | Was he playing? |
| ❓❌ Interrogative-Negative | Was/Were + S + not + V-ing? | Was he not playing? |
📹 MEMORY TIP 📹
Think of a video camera!
If you imagine a video of something happening in the past, you can often use:
⭐ WAS / WERE + VERB-ING ⭐
📚 Yesterday at 7 p.m.,
I was studying.
🍳 Yesterday at 8 p.m.,
Mother was cooking.
📺 Yesterday at 9 p.m.,
They were watching TV.
Think of a video camera!
If you imagine a video of something happening in the past, you can often use:
⭐ WAS / WERE + VERB-ING ⭐
📚 Yesterday at 7 p.m.,
I was studying.
🍳 Yesterday at 8 p.m.,
Mother was cooking.
📺 Yesterday at 9 p.m.,
They were watching TV.
Comments
Post a Comment