FUTURE TENSE

 

📚 FUTURE TIME – EASY NOTES

🌟 Learn Future Forms Easily!
English uses several different structures to talk about future events. Learn the form, use and examples below for your examinations.
FUTURE FORM 1

1️⃣ Simple Future Tense

will / shall + V¹

🔹 A. Future Facts

✅ I shall be twenty next Saturday.
✅ It will be Diwali in a week.
✅ We will know our results in May.

🔹 B. Predictions, Beliefs or Opinions

We often use I think, I’m sure, I believe, I expect, probably, etc. with will.

✅ I think Pakistan will win the match.
✅ I’m sure Helen will get a first class.
✅ Probably, he will come tomorrow.

🔹 C. Instant Decisions

A decision made at the moment of speaking.

🌧️ It is raining. I’ll take an umbrella.
💬 “Mr Sinha is busy.” — “All right. I’ll wait.”
💡 Remember: will → decision made now
FUTURE FORM 2

2️⃣ Going to + V¹

am / is / are + going to + V¹

🔹 A. Decision Already Made

Use going to when the decision or intention was made before speaking.

✅ I am going to resign from the job.
✅ I’m going to buy a car.
🧠 will → decision made now
🧠 going to → decision made before speaking

🔹 B. Prediction Based on Present Evidence

☁️ Look at those clouds. It is going to rain.
⛵ The boat is full of water. It is going to sink.
👶 She is going to have a baby.
FUTURE FORM 3

3️⃣ Be about to + V¹

am / is / are + about to + V¹

It is used for an action that is going to happen very soon.

🚆 The train is about to leave.
🍽️ We are about to have lunch.
💥 Look! The cracker is about to explode.
⭐ about to = just going to happen
FUTURE FORM 4

4️⃣ Simple Present for Future

V¹ / V¹ + s/es

🔹 A. Timetables & Official Programmes

🏫 The college opens on 23rd June.
🎬 The film starts at 6:30 and finishes at 9:00.
🚆 When does the next train leave?

🔹 B. Time & Condition Clauses

After if, unless, when, while, before, after, until, by the time, as soon as, we normally use the Simple Present, not will.

✅ I won't go out if it rains.
❌ I won't go out if it will rain.
✅ I will call you when he comes.
❌ I will call you when he will come.
✅ Wait until he finishes his work.
FUTURE FORM 5

5️⃣ Present Continuous for Future

am / is / are + V-ing

It is used for personal arrangements or plans, especially arrangements that have already been made.

🏔️ I am going to Shimla tomorrow.
🍴 We are eating out tonight.
🚉 Mr Abdul Rehman is arriving this evening.
⭐ For a personal arrangement, Present Continuous is generally preferred.
FUTURE FORM 6

6️⃣ Future Continuous

will be + V-ing

It is used for an action that will be in progress at a particular time in the future.

🏖️ This time tomorrow, I will be sitting on the beach.
🎾 I will be watching the tennis match at 5 o'clock.
🌧️ It will be raining when we start.

🔹 Planned or Expected Events

It can also describe something planned or expected as part of the normal course of events.

🏠 I will be staying here till Sunday.
🤝 He will be meeting us next week.
📮 The postman will be coming soon.
FUTURE FORM 7

7️⃣ Be to + V¹

am / is / are + to + V¹

It is used for official plans and arrangements, especially in formal language and news reports.

🇮🇳 The Prime Minister is to visit America next month.
🏛️ The conference is to discuss nuclear tests.
📰 News Headline:
Prime Minister to visit America.
⭐ be to = formal / official future arrangement
FUTURE FORM 8

8️⃣ Future Perfect

will have + V³

It is used for an action that will be completed before or by a particular future time.

✍️ I will have written my exercise by then.
🚶 He will have left before you see him.
📅 By the end of this month, I will have worked here for five years.
⭐ Key expression: by + future time → Future Perfect
FUTURE FORM 9

9️⃣ Future Perfect Continuous

will have been + V-ing

It is used for an action that will have continued for a period of time up to a future point.

🏠 By next March, we will have been living here for four years.
👨‍🏫 I will have been teaching for twenty years next July.
⭐ It emphasizes duration.
QUICK REVISION

📊 Quick Formula Chart

Future Form Structure Main Use
Simple Future will + V¹ Future fact / prediction / instant decision
Going to am/is/are going to + V¹ Prior decision / evidence-based prediction
Be about to am/is/are about to + V¹ Immediate future
Simple Present V¹ / V¹+s Timetables / time & condition clauses
Present Continuous am/is/are + V-ing Personal arrangements
Future Continuous will be + V-ing Action in progress in future
Be to am/is/are to + V¹ Official/formal arrangement
Future Perfect will have + V³ Completed before a future time
Future Perfect Continuous will have been + V-ing Duration up to a future time

⭐ EXAM TIP

The most important distinctions to remember for examinations are:

🔵 1. will vs going to
will → decision made now
going to → prior decision / present evidence

🟢 2. Simple Present vs Present Continuous
Simple Present → timetable / official programme
Present Continuous → personal arrangement

🟠 3. Future Perfect vs Future Perfect Continuous
Future Perfect → completed action
Future Perfect Continuous → duration of an action

📖 Study • Practise • Revise • Score Higher!
🌟 Master Future Forms for Standard 12 & Competitive Examinations.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ENGLISH (ARTS) QUESTION 2025 GROUP-A with Answer

Questions 2026

Unit Test - II