CONDITIONAL SENTENCES - 2
🌈 CONDITIONAL SENTENCES
Complete Grammar Notes with Examples
📚 What is a Conditional Sentence?
A conditional sentence expresses a condition and its result. It usually contains two parts:
- Conditional Clause / If-Clause – states the condition.
- Main Clause – states the result.
If you study hard, you will pass the examination.
👉 Condition: If you study hard
👉 Result: you will pass the examination
👉 Condition: If you study hard
👉 Result: you will pass the examination
⚡ Four Main Types at a Glance
ZERO
Present + Present
General Truth
Present + Present
General Truth
FIRST
Present + Will
Real Possibility
Present + Will
Real Possibility
SECOND
Past + Would
Imaginary
Past + Would
Imaginary
THIRD
Past Perfect + Would Have
Unreal Past
Past Perfect + Would Have
Unreal Past
🟢 1. Zero Conditional – General Truths
📌 Use:
- Universal truths
- Scientific facts
- General facts
- Things that normally happen
IF + PRESENT SIMPLE → PRESENT SIMPLE
✏️ Examples
1. If you heat ice, it melts.
2. If you heat water to 100°C, it boils.
3. If plants do not get water, they die.
4. If you touch fire, it burns.
5. If you drop a stone, it falls.
6. If water freezes, it becomes ice.
7. If you add sugar to tea, it becomes sweet.
8. If iron gets wet, it rusts.
9. If you do not eat, you become hungry.
10. If babies are hungry, they cry.
💡 Tip: In Zero Conditional, if can often be replaced by
when or whenever.
If you heat ice, it melts.
= When you heat ice, it melts.
If you heat ice, it melts.
= When you heat ice, it melts.
🔵 2. First Conditional – Real / Possible Future
📌 Use: The First Conditional describes a possible or real situation
in the present or future.
IF + PRESENT SIMPLE → WILL + V1
✏️ Examples
1. If you work hard, you will pass the examination.
2. If it rains tomorrow, we will stay at home.
3. If you study regularly, you will get good marks.
4. If she comes early, we will go together.
5. If he calls me, I will tell him the truth.
6. If you hurry, you will catch the bus.
7. If I meet him, I will give him your message.
8. If the weather is fine, we will play cricket.
9. If you practise English daily, your English will improve.
10. If he does not work hard, he will fail.
⚠️ Important Rule:
Do not normally use will in the if-clause.
❌ If you will work hard, you will succeed.
✅ If you work hard, you will succeed.
Do not normally use will in the if-clause.
❌ If you will work hard, you will succeed.
✅ If you work hard, you will succeed.
📢 First Conditional with Imperative
If you see Ravi, give him this message.
If you meet Mr Das, tell him to call me.
If you go to the market, buy some vegetables.
If you feel sick, see a doctor.
🟣 3. Second Conditional – Imaginary / Unlikely
📌 Use: The Second Conditional describes imaginary, hypothetical
or unlikely situations in the present or future.
IF + PAST SIMPLE → WOULD / COULD / MIGHT + V1
✏️ Examples
1. If I were rich, I would help poor people.
2. If I had a car, I would drive to school.
3. If I knew his address, I would write to him.
4. If she studied harder, she would get better marks.
5. If I had more time, I would learn French.
6. If he were here, he would help us.
7. If I won the lottery, I would buy a big house.
8. If I could fly, I would travel around the world.
9. If you practised more, you could become a good player.
10. If I had a million rupees, I might start a business.
⭐ Special Use of WERE
In formal hypothetical English, were can be used with I, he, she, it.
✔ If I were you, I would accept the offer.
✔ If he were here, he would help us.
✔ If she were my teacher, I would ask her.
In formal hypothetical English, were can be used with I, he, she, it.
✔ If I were you, I would accept the offer.
✔ If he were here, he would help us.
✔ If she were my teacher, I would ask her.
🌟 Very Important Expression
IF I WERE YOU, I WOULD + V1
If I were you, I would study harder.
If I were you, I would not waste my time.
If I were you, I would accept the opportunity.
🟠4. Third Conditional – Unreal Past
📌 Use: The Third Conditional describes an imaginary past condition
that did not happen and its imaginary result.
IF + HAD + V3 → WOULD HAVE + V3
✏️ Examples
1. If I had studied hard, I would have passed.
2. If he had come earlier, he would have met the principal.
3. If she had called me, I would have helped her.
4. If they had left early, they would have caught the train.
5. If you had told me the truth, I would have helped you.
6. If I had known about the meeting, I would have attended it.
7. If he had worked harder, he could have won.
8. If we had started earlier, we might have reached on time.
9. If she had taken an umbrella, she would not have got wet.
10. If you had followed my advice, you would have avoided the problem.
💡 Understand the meaning:
"If I had studied hard, I would have passed."
👉 I did not study hard.
👉 I did not pass.
👉 The sentence imagines a different past.
"If I had studied hard, I would have passed."
👉 I did not study hard.
👉 I did not pass.
👉 The sentence imagines a different past.
📊 Compare the Four Conditionals
| Type | Condition | Result | Example |
|---|---|---|---|
| Zero | Present | Present | If you heat ice, it melts. |
| First | Present | Future | If you study, you will pass. |
| Second | Past | Would + V1 | If I studied, I would pass. |
| Third | Past Perfect | Would have + V3 | If I had studied, I would have passed. |
📘 5. Conditional Inversion – Without "If"
In formal English, if can sometimes be omitted by placing
the auxiliary verb before the subject.
🔹 A. SHOULD + Subject
Normal: If you should need help, call me.
⭐ Inverted: Should you need help, call me.
⭐ Inverted: Should you need help, call me.
Should you have any questions, please ask me.
Should it rain, the match will be cancelled.
Should you need more information, contact the office.
🔹 B. WERE + Subject
Normal: If I were rich, I would help the poor.
⭐ Inverted: Were I rich, I would help the poor.
⭐ Inverted: Were I rich, I would help the poor.
Were I you, I would accept the offer.
Were he here, he would help us.
Were it possible, I would visit you.
🔹 C. HAD + Subject + V3
Normal: If he had come earlier, I would have met him.
⭐ Inverted: Had he come earlier, I would have met him.
⭐ Inverted: Had he come earlier, I would have met him.
Had I known the truth, I would have helped you.
Had she studied harder, she would have passed.
Had they arrived earlier, they would have caught the train.
🔴 6. Other Conditional Connectives
🔸 Unless = If...not
UNLESS = IF ... NOT
Unless you work hard, you will fail.
Unless you hurry, you will miss the bus.
Unless you practise, you cannot improve.
Unless the weather improves, the match will be cancelled.
⚠️ Do not normally use not after unless.
❌ Unless you do not study, you will fail.
✅ Unless you study, you will fail.
❌ Unless you do not study, you will fail.
✅ Unless you study, you will fail.
🔸 Provided / Providing That
Meaning: On the condition that
I will help you provided that you tell me the truth.
You can go outside provided that you finish your homework.
We will play provided that the weather is fine.
🔸 In Case
Meaning: As a precaution because something may happen.
Take an umbrella in case it rains.
Carry some money in case you need it.
Take some food in case you get hungry.
Carry a torch in case the electricity goes out.
🔸 Suppose / Supposing
Meaning: Imagine that...
Suppose you won the lottery. What would you do?
Supposing you became the principal, what would you change?
Suppose you lost your phone. How would you contact your family?
🔸 But For
Meaning: If it were not for / If it had not been for
But for your help, I would have failed.
But for the rain, we would have played the match.
But for his support, she could not have succeeded.
🟣 7. Mixed Conditionals
Mixed Conditionals combine different time references.
Past Condition → Present Result
IF + HAD + V3 → WOULD + V1
If I had studied medicine, I would be a doctor now.
If I had saved money, I would have a car now.
If she had accepted the job, she would live in Delhi now.
Present Condition → Past Result
IF + PAST SIMPLE → WOULD HAVE + V3
If I were more careful, I would not have made that mistake.
⭐ QUICK REVISION FORMULA
0️⃣ ZERO
PRESENT + PRESENT
PRESENT + PRESENT
1️⃣ FIRST
PRESENT + WILL
PRESENT + WILL
2️⃣ SECOND
PAST + WOULD
PAST + WOULD
3️⃣ THIRD
PAST PERFECT + WOULD HAVE
PAST PERFECT + WOULD HAVE
🧠Easy Memory Trick
🟢 Zero → Always true
🔵 First → Possible
🟣 Second → Imaginary
🟠Third → Too late / Past
| Conditional | Formula | Meaning |
|---|---|---|
| Zero | If + Present → Present | General Truth |
| First | If + Present → Will + V1 | Real Possibility |
| Second | If + Past → Would + V1 | Imaginary / Unlikely |
| Third | If + Had + V3 → Would Have + V3 | Unreal Past |
🎯 Master Conditional Sentences!
Learn the four types, practise the formulas and solve MCQs regularly to improve your English grammar for school and competitive examinations.
Comments
Post a Comment