Conditional Sentences

 

📚✨

CONDITIONAL SENTENCES

Standard 8 English Grammar

🌟 Learn • Understand • Practise 🌟

📖 What is a Conditional Sentence?

A conditional sentence tells us about a condition and its result.

If + Condition → Result

🟢 1. ZERO CONDITIONAL

General Truths and Facts

📌 Structure:

If + Present Simple, Present Simple

We use the Zero Conditional for things that are always true, such as facts, rules and scientific truths.

  1. If you heat ice, it melts.
  2. If you mix red and yellow, you get orange.
  3. If plants do not get water, they die.
  4. If you heat water, it boils.
  5. If the sun sets, it becomes dark.
  6. If you touch fire, it burns you.
  7. If it rains, the ground gets wet.
  8. If you drop a stone, it falls down.
  9. If people eat too much, they feel sick.
  10. If you freeze water, it becomes ice.

🔵 2. FIRST CONDITIONAL

Possible Future Situation

📌 Structure:

If + Present Simple, will + V1

We use the First Conditional when something is possible in the future.

  1. If you study hard, you will pass the examination.
  2. If it rains tomorrow, we will stay at home.
  3. If you work hard, you will succeed.
  4. If she comes early, we will go to the market.
  5. If I finish my homework, I will watch TV.
  6. If you eat too much, you will feel sick.
  7. If he runs fast, he will catch the bus.
  8. If they invite me, I will attend the party.
  9. If you save money, you will buy a new bicycle.
  10. If we leave now, we will reach the school on time.

🟡 3. SECOND CONDITIONAL

Imaginary or Unlikely Situation

📌 Structure:

If + Past Simple, would + V1

We use the Second Conditional for imaginary, unlikely or unreal situations.

  1. If I were rich, I would help the poor.
  2. If I had wings, I would fly in the sky.
  3. If I were a bird, I would fly everywhere.
  4. If she had a car, she would drive to school.
  5. If I knew his address, I would visit him.
  6. If he were taller, he would play basketball.
  7. If we had more money, we would buy a bigger house.
  8. If I lived near the sea, I would swim every day.
  9. If you were the teacher, what would you do?
  10. If I won the lottery, I would travel around the world.
⭐ Special Rule: We commonly use were instead of was in imaginary conditions.
✅ If I were you, I would study harder.

🔴 4. THIRD CONDITIONAL

Imaginary Past Situation

📌 Structure:

If + had + V3, would have + V3

We use the Third Conditional to talk about something that did not happen in the past.

  1. If I had studied hard, I would have passed the examination.
  2. If he had worked harder, he would have succeeded.
  3. If she had come early, she would have met us.
  4. If we had left early, we would have caught the bus.
  5. If you had told me, I would have helped you.
  6. If they had played well, they would have won the match.
  7. If I had known the truth, I would have told you.
  8. If he had taken an umbrella, he would not have got wet.
  9. If she had practised more, she would have performed better.
  10. If we had started earlier, we would have finished the work.

⭐ QUICK REVISION

Type If-Clause Result Use
🟢 Zero Present Present Fact / Truth
🔵 First Present will + V1 Possible Future
🟡 Second Past would + V1 Imaginary
🔴 Third had + V3 would have + V3 Unreal Past

💡 Remember!

🟢 Zero = Always true
🔵 First = Possible future
🟡 Second = Imaginary
🔴 Third = Impossible past

📚 Standard 8 English Grammar

✨ Keep Learning • Keep Practising • Keep Improving ✨

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ENGLISH (ARTS) QUESTION 2025 GROUP-A with Answer

Questions 2026

Unit Test - II