Modals


๐ŸŒˆ MODALS ๐ŸŒˆ

๐Ÿ“š Learn • Understand • Practise • Enjoy! ๐Ÿ˜Š

⭐ What are Modals?

Modals are helping verbs used to express ability, permission, possibility, necessity, advice, request, duty and willingness.

๐Ÿ’ก Golden Rule: A modal is followed by the base form (V1) of the verb.

✅ She can sing.
❌ She can sings.

๐Ÿงฉ Common Modals

Can • Could • May • Might • Must • Should • Shall • Will • Would • Ought to

๐Ÿ’™ 1. CAN

Uses: Ability • Permission • Possibility

  1. I can swim well. ๐ŸŠ
  2. She can speak English. ๐Ÿ—ฃ️
  3. We can solve this problem. ๐Ÿง 
  4. He can run very fast. ๐Ÿƒ
  5. Birds can fly. ๐Ÿฆ
  6. Can I come in? ๐Ÿšช
  7. Can I borrow your pen? ✏️
  8. You can use my computer. ๐Ÿ’ป
  9. Anyone can make mistakes. ๐Ÿ™‚
  10. We can finish the work today. ✅

๐Ÿ’œ 2. COULD

Uses: Past ability • Polite request • Possibility

  1. I could swim when I was six. ๐ŸŠ
  2. She could read at the age of five. ๐Ÿ“–
  3. He could run very fast when he was young. ๐Ÿƒ
  4. We could see the mountains from our house. ๐Ÿ”️
  5. My grandfather could speak five languages. ๐Ÿ—ฃ️
  6. Could you help me? ๐Ÿ™
  7. Could I use your phone? ๐Ÿ“ฑ
  8. Could you open the window? ๐ŸชŸ
  9. It could rain tonight. ๐ŸŒง️
  10. This could be the right answer. ๐Ÿ’ก

๐Ÿ’š 3. MAY

Uses: Permission • Possibility

  1. May I come in? ๐Ÿšช
  2. May I use your pen? ✏️
  3. You may go now. ๐Ÿšถ
  4. Students may leave after the test. ๐Ÿ“
  5. May I ask a question? ๐Ÿ™‹
  6. It may rain today. ๐ŸŒง️
  7. She may come tomorrow. ๐Ÿ˜Š
  8. He may be at home. ๐Ÿ 
  9. We may visit Delhi next month. ✈️
  10. The teacher may give us homework. ๐Ÿ“š

๐Ÿงก 4. MIGHT

Use: Weak possibility

  1. It might rain tonight. ๐ŸŒง️
  2. She might come tomorrow. ๐Ÿ˜Š
  3. He might be busy. ๐Ÿ“š
  4. They might visit us. ๐Ÿ 
  5. I might buy a new book. ๐Ÿ“–
  6. We might go to the park. ๐ŸŒณ
  7. The bus might arrive late. ๐ŸšŒ
  8. He might win the race. ๐Ÿ†
  9. She might know the answer. ๐Ÿ’ก
  10. It might be difficult. ๐Ÿค”

❤️ 5. MUST

Uses: Necessity • Duty • Strong advice • Prohibition

  1. We must obey our parents. ๐Ÿ‘จ‍๐Ÿ‘ฉ‍๐Ÿ‘ง
  2. You must follow the rules. ๐Ÿ“œ
  3. Students must respect their teachers. ๐Ÿ‘ฉ‍๐Ÿซ
  4. We must keep our classroom clean. ๐Ÿงน
  5. You must complete your homework. ๐Ÿ“š
  6. We must help the poor. ๐Ÿค
  7. You must wear a seat belt. ๐Ÿš—
  8. We must protect the environment. ๐ŸŒณ
  9. You must not waste water. ๐Ÿ’ง
  10. Students must not make noise in the library. ๐Ÿคซ

๐Ÿ’š 6. SHOULD

Uses: Advice • Duty • What is right

  1. You should obey your parents. ❤️
  2. We should respect our elders. ๐Ÿ™
  3. You should study regularly. ๐Ÿ“š
  4. We should help others. ๐Ÿค
  5. You should speak politely. ๐Ÿ˜Š
  6. Children should eat healthy food. ๐ŸŽ
  7. We should keep our surroundings clean. ๐Ÿงน
  8. You should not waste your time. ⏰
  9. Students should attend their classes regularly. ๐Ÿซ
  10. We should protect trees. ๐ŸŒณ

๐Ÿ’œ 7. SHALL

Uses: Future action with I/We • Suggestion • Offer

  1. I shall go to school tomorrow. ๐Ÿซ
  2. We shall meet again. ๐Ÿค
  3. I shall complete the work. ✅
  4. We shall visit our grandparents. ๐Ÿ‘ต
  5. I shall help you. ๐Ÿค
  6. We shall win the match. ๐Ÿ†
  7. Shall we go for a walk? ๐Ÿšถ
  8. Shall I open the door? ๐Ÿšช
  9. Shall we start the lesson? ๐Ÿ“–
  10. Shall I carry your bag? ๐ŸŽ’

๐Ÿ’™ 8. WILL

Uses: Future action • Promise • Willingness

  1. I will help you. ๐Ÿค
  2. She will come tomorrow. ๐Ÿ˜Š
  3. We will visit Delhi next week. ✈️
  4. He will finish the work. ✅
  5. They will play cricket tomorrow. ๐Ÿ
  6. I will call you later. ๐Ÿ“ž
  7. We will obey our teachers. ๐Ÿ‘ฉ‍๐Ÿซ
  8. She will help her mother. ❤️
  9. I will never lie to you. ๐Ÿ˜Š
  10. They will arrive soon. ๐ŸšŒ

๐Ÿงก 9. WOULD

Uses: Polite request • Polite offer • Past habit

  1. Would you help me? ๐Ÿ™
  2. Would you open the door? ๐Ÿšช
  3. Would you like some water? ๐Ÿ’ง
  4. Would you come with us? ๐Ÿ˜Š
  5. Would you please wait here? ⏳
  6. My grandfather would tell us stories. ๐Ÿ“–
  7. When I was young, I would play outside. ⚽
  8. She would visit us every Sunday. ๐Ÿ 
  9. He would often read books. ๐Ÿ“š
  10. We would go to the river every summer. ๐ŸŒŠ

๐Ÿ’š 10. OUGHT TO

Uses: Duty • Moral responsibility • Advice

  1. We ought to respect our parents. ❤️
  2. You ought to obey your teachers. ๐Ÿ‘ฉ‍๐Ÿซ
  3. We ought to help the needy. ๐Ÿค
  4. You ought to speak the truth. ๐Ÿ—ฃ️
  5. We ought to keep our surroundings clean. ๐Ÿงน
  6. Students ought to study regularly. ๐Ÿ“š
  7. You ought to be kind to animals. ๐Ÿถ
  8. We ought to protect nature. ๐ŸŒณ
  9. You ought to keep your promise. ๐Ÿคž
  10. Everyone ought to follow the law. ⚖️

๐ŸŽฏ QUICK REVISION

ModalMain UseExample
๐Ÿ’™ CanAbility / PermissionI can swim.
๐Ÿ’œ CouldPast ability / RequestCould you help me?
๐Ÿ’š MayPermission / PossibilityMay I come in?
๐Ÿงก MightWeak possibilityIt might rain.
❤️ MustNecessity / DutyYou must obey rules.
๐Ÿ’š ShouldAdvice / DutyYou should study.
๐Ÿ’œ ShallFuture / SuggestionShall we go?
๐Ÿ’™ WillFuture / PromiseI will help you.
๐Ÿงก WouldPolite request / Past habitWould you help me?
๐Ÿ’š Ought toDuty / AdviceWe ought to help others.

๐ŸŒŸ Remember!

Modal + V1 (Base Form)

✅ She can dance.

❌ She can dances.

๐ŸŽ‰ Learn Modals and make your English stronger!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ENGLISH (ARTS) QUESTION 2025 GROUP-A with Answer

Questions 2026

Unit Test - II