Modals


🌈 MODALS 🌈

πŸ“š Learn • Understand • Practise • Enjoy! 😊

⭐ What are Modals?

Modals are helping verbs used to express ability, permission, possibility, necessity, advice, request, duty and willingness.

πŸ’‘ Golden Rule: A modal is followed by the base form (V1) of the verb.

✅ She can sing.
❌ She can sings.

🧩 Common Modals

Can • Could • May • Might • Must • Should • Shall • Will • Would • Ought to

πŸ’™ 1. CAN

Uses: Ability • Permission • Possibility

  1. I can swim well. 🏊
  2. She can speak English. πŸ—£️
  3. We can solve this problem. 🧠
  4. He can run very fast. πŸƒ
  5. Birds can fly. 🐦
  6. Can I come in? πŸšͺ
  7. Can I borrow your pen? ✏️
  8. You can use my computer. πŸ’»
  9. Anyone can make mistakes. πŸ™‚
  10. We can finish the work today. ✅

πŸ’œ 2. COULD

Uses: Past ability • Polite request • Possibility

  1. I could swim when I was six. 🏊
  2. She could read at the age of five. πŸ“–
  3. He could run very fast when he was young. πŸƒ
  4. We could see the mountains from our house. πŸ”️
  5. My grandfather could speak five languages. πŸ—£️
  6. Could you help me? πŸ™
  7. Could I use your phone? πŸ“±
  8. Could you open the window? πŸͺŸ
  9. It could rain tonight. 🌧️
  10. This could be the right answer. πŸ’‘

πŸ’š 3. MAY

Uses: Permission • Possibility

  1. May I come in? πŸšͺ
  2. May I use your pen? ✏️
  3. You may go now. 🚢
  4. Students may leave after the test. πŸ“
  5. May I ask a question? πŸ™‹
  6. It may rain today. 🌧️
  7. She may come tomorrow. 😊
  8. He may be at home. 🏠
  9. We may visit Delhi next month. ✈️
  10. The teacher may give us homework. πŸ“š

🧑 4. MIGHT

Use: Weak possibility

  1. It might rain tonight. 🌧️
  2. She might come tomorrow. 😊
  3. He might be busy. πŸ“š
  4. They might visit us. 🏠
  5. I might buy a new book. πŸ“–
  6. We might go to the park. 🌳
  7. The bus might arrive late. 🚌
  8. He might win the race. πŸ†
  9. She might know the answer. πŸ’‘
  10. It might be difficult. πŸ€”

❤️ 5. MUST

Uses: Necessity • Duty • Strong advice • Prohibition

  1. We must obey our parents. πŸ‘¨‍πŸ‘©‍πŸ‘§
  2. You must follow the rules. πŸ“œ
  3. Students must respect their teachers. πŸ‘©‍🏫
  4. We must keep our classroom clean. 🧹
  5. You must complete your homework. πŸ“š
  6. We must help the poor. 🀝
  7. You must wear a seat belt. πŸš—
  8. We must protect the environment. 🌳
  9. You must not waste water. πŸ’§
  10. Students must not make noise in the library. 🀫

πŸ’š 6. SHOULD

Uses: Advice • Duty • What is right

  1. You should obey your parents. ❤️
  2. We should respect our elders. πŸ™
  3. You should study regularly. πŸ“š
  4. We should help others. 🀝
  5. You should speak politely. 😊
  6. Children should eat healthy food. 🍎
  7. We should keep our surroundings clean. 🧹
  8. You should not waste your time. ⏰
  9. Students should attend their classes regularly. 🏫
  10. We should protect trees. 🌳

πŸ’œ 7. SHALL

Uses: Future action with I/We • Suggestion • Offer

  1. I shall go to school tomorrow. 🏫
  2. We shall meet again. 🀝
  3. I shall complete the work. ✅
  4. We shall visit our grandparents. πŸ‘΅
  5. I shall help you. 🀝
  6. We shall win the match. πŸ†
  7. Shall we go for a walk? 🚢
  8. Shall I open the door? πŸšͺ
  9. Shall we start the lesson? πŸ“–
  10. Shall I carry your bag? πŸŽ’

πŸ’™ 8. WILL

Uses: Future action • Promise • Willingness

  1. I will help you. 🀝
  2. She will come tomorrow. 😊
  3. We will visit Delhi next week. ✈️
  4. He will finish the work. ✅
  5. They will play cricket tomorrow. 🏏
  6. I will call you later. πŸ“ž
  7. We will obey our teachers. πŸ‘©‍🏫
  8. She will help her mother. ❤️
  9. I will never lie to you. 😊
  10. They will arrive soon. 🚌

🧑 9. WOULD

Uses: Polite request • Polite offer • Past habit

  1. Would you help me? πŸ™
  2. Would you open the door? πŸšͺ
  3. Would you like some water? πŸ’§
  4. Would you come with us? 😊
  5. Would you please wait here? ⏳
  6. My grandfather would tell us stories. πŸ“–
  7. When I was young, I would play outside. ⚽
  8. She would visit us every Sunday. 🏠
  9. He would often read books. πŸ“š
  10. We would go to the river every summer. 🌊

πŸ’š 10. OUGHT TO

Uses: Duty • Moral responsibility • Advice

  1. We ought to respect our parents. ❤️
  2. You ought to obey your teachers. πŸ‘©‍🏫
  3. We ought to help the needy. 🀝
  4. You ought to speak the truth. πŸ—£️
  5. We ought to keep our surroundings clean. 🧹
  6. Students ought to study regularly. πŸ“š
  7. You ought to be kind to animals. 🐢
  8. We ought to protect nature. 🌳
  9. You ought to keep your promise. 🀞
  10. Everyone ought to follow the law. ⚖️

🎯 QUICK REVISION

ModalMain UseExample
πŸ’™ CanAbility / PermissionI can swim.
πŸ’œ CouldPast ability / RequestCould you help me?
πŸ’š MayPermission / PossibilityMay I come in?
🧑 MightWeak possibilityIt might rain.
❤️ MustNecessity / DutyYou must obey rules.
πŸ’š ShouldAdvice / DutyYou should study.
πŸ’œ ShallFuture / SuggestionShall we go?
πŸ’™ WillFuture / PromiseI will help you.
🧑 WouldPolite request / Past habitWould you help me?
πŸ’š Ought toDuty / AdviceWe ought to help others.

🌟 Remember!

Modal + V1 (Base Form)

✅ She can dance.

❌ She can dances.

πŸŽ‰ Learn Modals and make your English stronger!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ENGLISH (ARTS) QUESTION 2025 GROUP-A with Answer

Questions 2026

THE DOCTOR’S WORD BY R K Narayan (MCQS)