Conditionals


ЁЯУЪ ✨ ЁЯза

INTRODUCTION TO CONDITIONALS

Conditional Sentences | рм╢рм░୍рмд୍рмдрмоୂрм│рмХ рммାрмХ୍рнЯ

ЁЯСЙ ЁЯТб ЁЯУЭ

ЁЯУЦ What are Conditionals?

Conditionals are sentences that describe a situation and its possible result. They usually use the word “if”.

ЁЯСЙ Conditional рммାрмХ୍рнЯ рмПрмкрм░ି рмПрмХ рмкрм░ିрм╕୍рмеିрмдି рмУ рмдାрм╣ାрм░ рм╕рмо୍рмнାрмм୍рнЯ рмлрм│ାрмлрм│рмХୁ рмк୍рм░рмХାрм╢ рмХрм░େ। рмПрмеିрм░େ рм╕ାрмзାрм░рмгрмдଃ “if” рмм୍рнЯрммрм╣ାрм░ рмХрм░ାрмпାрмП।

Example:
If it rains, I will stay home.
рммрм░୍рм╖ା рм╣େрм▓େ, рмоୁଁ рмШрм░େ рм░рм╣ିрммି।

ЁЯТб Concepts about Conditionals

1️⃣ Meaning – рмЕрм░୍рме

A conditional sentence talks about something that might happen, could happen, or could have happened.

Conditional рммାрмХ୍рнЯ рмХୌрмгрм╕ି рмШрмЯрмгା рм╣େрммା, рм╣ୋрмЗрмкାрм░ିрммା рмХିрмо୍рммା рмкୂрм░୍рммрм░ୁ рмШрмЯିрмеାрми୍рмдା рммୋрм▓ି рммୁрмЭାрмП।

2️⃣ Structure – рмЧрмарми

Conditional sentences usually have two parts:

① If-clause (Condition) → shows the situation.
② Main clause (Result) → shows the outcome.

If it rains (condition), I will stay home (result).

If-clause → рм╢рм░୍рмд୍рмдрмХୁ рмжрм░୍рм╢ାрмП।
Main clause → рмлрм│ାрмлрм│рмХୁ рмжрм░୍рм╢ାрмП।

ЁЯМИ Five Main Types of Conditionals

Type Use
Zero Conditional Facts / General Truths
First Conditional Real Future Possibility
Second Conditional Unreal Present / Future
Third Conditional Unreal Past
Mixed Conditional Past ↔ Present Connection

0️⃣ Zero Conditional

Facts & Universal Truths

Used for facts, general truths and things that are always true.

ЁЯСЙ рм╕рмд୍рнЯ, рм╕ାрмзାрм░рмг рм╕рмд୍рнЯ рмУ рм╕рммୁрммେрм│େ рм╕рмд୍рнЯ рмеିрммା рмХрмеା рмкାрмЗଁ Zero Conditional рмм୍рнЯрммрм╣ାрм░ рмХрм░ାрмпାрмП।

If + Present Simple, Present Simple
1. If you heat water to 100°C, it boils.
2. If it rains, the ground gets wet.
3. If you mix red and blue, you get purple.
4. If people don't eat, they die.
5. If the sun sets, it gets dark.
6. If children are tired, they sleep.
7. If you press the switch, the light turns on.
8. If ice melts, it becomes water.
9. If you add two and two, you get four.
10. If plants don't get sunlight, they die.

1️⃣ First Conditional

Real / Possible Future

Used for real or possible situations in the future.

ЁЯСЙ рмнрммିрм╖୍рнЯрмдрм░େ рмШрмЯିрмкାрм░ୁрмеିрммା рммାрм╕୍рмдрммିрмХ рмХିрмо୍рммା рм╕рмо୍рмнାрмм୍рнЯ рмкрм░ିрм╕୍рмеିрмдି рмкାрмЗଁ First Conditional рмм୍рнЯрммрм╣ୃрмд рм╣ୁрмП।

If + Present Simple, will + Base Verb
1. If it rains tomorrow, we will stay home.
2. If you study hard, you will pass the exam.
3. If she calls me, I will answer.
4. If they play well, they will win the match.
5. If you eat too much, you will feel sick.
6. If I see him, I will tell him the news.
7. If we leave early, we will catch the train.
8. If you don't hurry, you will miss the bus.
9. If the shop is open, I will buy milk.
10. If it gets cold, we will light a fire.

2️⃣ Second Conditional

Imaginary / Unlikely

Used for imaginary, unreal or unlikely situations in the present or future.

ЁЯСЙ рммрм░୍рмд୍рмдрмоାрми рмХିрмо୍рммା рмнрммିрм╖୍рнЯрмдрм░ рмХрм│୍рмкрмиାрмд୍рмормХ, рмЕрммାрм╕୍рмдрмм рмХିрмо୍рммା рм╕рмо୍рмнାрммрмиା рмХрмо୍ рмеିрммା рмкрм░ିрм╕୍рмеିрмдି рмкାрмЗଁ рмм୍рнЯрммрм╣ୃрмд рм╣ୁрмП।

If + Past Simple, would + Base Verb
1. If I were rich, I would travel the world.
2. If she studied harder, she would get better grades.
3. If it snowed in summer, we would be surprised.
4. If I had a car, I would drive to work.
5. If we lived in Paris, we would visit the Eiffel Tower often.
6. If he spoke English, he would get the job.
7. If you were my teacher, I would listen carefully.
8. If I knew his number, I would call him.
9. If they played well, they would win the cup.
10. If I were taller, I would play basketball.
ЁЯТб Special Note: In formal English, were is commonly used with all subjects in hypothetical statements:

If I were... / If he were... / If she were...

3️⃣ Third Conditional

Unreal Past / Regret

Used for unreal or imaginary situations in the past, especially regrets and missed opportunities.

ЁЯСЙ рмЕрмдୀрмдрм░େ рмШрмЯିрмирмеିрммା рмХାрм░୍рмп୍рнЯ, рмЕрмиୁрмдାрмк рмХିрмо୍рммା рм╣ାрм░ାрмЗрмеିрммା рм╕ୁрмпୋрмЧ рммିрм╖рнЯрм░େ рмХрм╣ିрммା рмкାрмЗଁ Third Conditional рмм୍рнЯрммрм╣ୃрмд рм╣ୁрмП।

If + Past Perfect, would have + Past Participle
1. If I had studied, I would have passed the exam.
2. If it had rained, we would have stayed home.
3. If she had left earlier, she would have caught the train.
4. If they had worked harder, they would have finished on time.
5. If I had known the answer, I would have told you.
6. If we had seen him, we would have spoken to him.
7. If you had driven faster, we would have arrived earlier.
8. If I had taken the medicine, I would have felt better.
9. If they had practised, they would have won.
10. If you had helped me, I would have succeeded.

ЁЯФА Mixed Conditional

Past ↔ Present

Mixed Conditionals connect a past situation with a present result, or a present situation with a past result.

ЁЯСЙ Mixed Conditional рмЕрмдୀрмдрм░ рмкрм░ିрм╕୍рмеିрмдିрмХୁ рммрм░୍рмд୍рмдрмоାрмирм░ рмлрм│ାрмлрм│ рм╕рм╣ିрмд рмХିрмо୍рммା рммрм░୍рмд୍рмдрмоାрмирм░ рмкрм░ିрм╕୍рмеିрмдିрмХୁ рмЕрмдୀрмдрм░ рмлрм│ାрмлрм│ рм╕рм╣ିрмд рмпୋрмб଼ିрмеାрмП।

ЁЯФ╡ Past Condition → Present Result

If + Past Perfect, would + Base Verb
1. If I had studied medicine, I would be a doctor now.
2. If she had gone to bed early, she wouldn't be tired now.
3. If they had saved money, they would be rich today.
4. If I had taken the job, I would live in London now.
5. If he had listened, he would understand the problem.

ЁЯЯв Present Condition → Past Result

If + Past Simple, would have + Past Participle
6. If I were smarter, I would have passed the test.
7. If she were kinder, she would have helped me yesterday.
8. If they were stronger, they would have won the game.
9. If I had more time, I would have finished the project.
10. If he were rich, he would have bought that house.

ЁЯФд Other Words Used Instead of “If”

Conditional ideas can also be expressed using words and phrases such as:

unless • when • provided that • as long as • in case
Unless you hurry, you will miss the bus.
рмдୁрмоେ рм╢ୀрмШ୍рм░ рмирм╣େрм▓େ, рммрм╕୍‌ рмЫାрмб଼ିрмжେрмм।
As long as you work hard, you will succeed.
Provided that you follow the rules, you can join the programme.

ЁЯФД Inverted Conditionals

Sometimes if is omitted and the auxiliary verb comes before the subject. This is called an inverted conditional.

Had I known, I would have helped you.
= If I had known, I would have helped you.
Were I rich, I would travel the world.
= If I were rich, I would travel the world.
Should you need help, call me.
= If you should need help, call me.
ЁЯТб Inverted conditionals are more common in formal or written English.

ЁЯОп Functions of Conditionals

Function Purpose
Cause & Effect рмХାрм░рмг рмУ рмлрм│
Possibility рм╕рмо୍рмнାрммрмиା
Imagination рмХрм│୍рмкрмиା
Advice рмкрм░ାрморм░୍рм╢
Regret рмЕрмиୁрмдାрмк

ЁЯПЖ Quick Revision Chart

Type Structure Main Use
Zero If + Present, Present Facts / Truths
First If + Present, will + V1 Real Future
Second If + Past, would + V1 Unreal Present/Future
Third If + Past Perfect, would have + V3 Unreal Past
Mixed Past + Present / Present + Past Mixed Time

ЁЯМЯ GOLDEN RULES ЁЯМЯ

0️⃣ Facts → Zero Conditional

1️⃣ Real Future → First Conditional

2️⃣ Imaginary Present/Future → Second Conditional

3️⃣ Unreal Past → Third Conditional

ЁЯФА Past + Present → Mixed Conditional

ЁЯУЪ ✨ ЁЯОУ ЁЯУЭ

Learn • Practise • Master English Grammar

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ENGLISH (ARTS) QUESTION 2025 GROUP-A with Answer

Questions 2026

Unit Test - II